Thursday, October 12, 2017

Exodus 3:1-6

First a disclaimer:  I haven't posted anything on this site for about 4 years, so I'll have to relearn how the site works..... and I expect that Google has made some changes to Blogger, but here goes.....
-------------------

God Calls Moses is often how this passage of scripture is titled.  Just imagine --

Moses is out in the wilderness, minding his business.  Minding the sheep.  He strays outside the wilderness to Mt Horeb, the mountain of God.  There he notices a bush that's on fire, but not burning up.  Being the curious sort, he says to himself, "I think I'll go check this out because it's not like something I've seen before."  When he does, God calls him by name and tells him to take off his shoes because he's on holy ground.  God continued to speak to him.  I imagine it's to reassure Moses of who is speaking to him.  Moses apparently believed it was God's voice because he was afraid and hid his face.

A bit later in Exodus, Moses tells God all the various reasons he can't be the leader that God is asking him to be.  The people won't follow him.  He's not a good speaker.  Someone else would be better at this job of leader.  Moses needs to go see his family.  He has other things to do.  Moses doesn't doubt that it is God speaking to him, but he just doesn't want to do what God asks.

I've been asked to do things I'm not sure about.  I've questioned whether it was God asking me..... or maybe I was mistaken.  So I've sought the counsel of wise friends who are in-tuned to the heart of God.  I'm often like Moses in that I have a million and three reasons to explain why I can't do as asked,  but God has been patient with me, listened to my excuses, provided work-arounds and said, "OK.  I know you don't want to, but I really need you to do this."  Often I'm like the prophet Jonah and run the other direction, but still God is patient and brings me back to the task at hand.*

God and I have been having an argument for the past year or so.  I'm still trying to decide if it's God speaking or if it's my wishful thinking.  I keep hearing "Do this.  Do that.  I'll be with you."  I keep saying, "But... but..... but....:"  And God sighs and shows me a way or sometimes several ways.  God puts people in my life who help me to hear God's word and who encourage me.  God is patient and believes in me, even when I don't believe in myself.

The stories of Moses -- and Jonah -- are my stories and I have a lot to learn from them.

*See my previous post on my understanding of the Jonah story.

No comments:

Post a Comment