Thursday, October 12, 2017

A note to my daughter

I love your Dad.  Men are such funny creatures!

Yesterday he said he was going to Target and asked if I wanted anything.  I said yes, a small jar of Vaseline (to prevent chapped lips in the winter.)  I emphasized small. Off he went..... and off I went on my separate adventures for the day.

When you were a baby, you had such awful diaper rash for months and months.  It must have hurt terribly.  I tried everything for it and finally bought a large jar of Vaseline.  I finally finished that jar after nearly 40 years.

So when I got home last night, on the counter in the bathroom sat a LARGE jar of Vaseline.  I fussed and fumed.  I tried to explain that this was more than I needed.  I'm 65 years old now.  Did he expect me to live to 105?  I don't think so!  He explained that this was the only size they had, except for single-use packages.  He was in Target, for crying out loud!  They have smaller jars somewhere, I know they must.

We watched the ballgame.  I read.  He dug out the sales receipt and told me I could take it back.  He went to bed.  I was still fussing about this in my brain and then I went to bed.  All of a sudden it occurred to me that the large jar of Vaseline was an example of his optimism and his love for me.  Yes, he believes I'm going to live a long, long time and yes, he loves me enough to prove it with an large jar of Vaseline.

This morning, as he was going to accomplish another of my errands, I had to stop him, give him a kiss and thank him for believing in me -- For believing that I would live to 105.  He's such a good guy!  My wish for all women is that they have guys in their life who treat them as well.  This is my wish for you, dear daughter.

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment